Monday, May 12, 2014

A Mother's Love


May 11th, 2014           “A Mother’s Love”             Rev. Heather Jepsen
John 10:1-10 with Psalm 23
          Today, the fourth Sunday after Easter, is commonly called “Shepherd Sunday” in the life of the church.  This is the Sunday when we read the 23rd Psalm, paired with another shepherd themed reading from the scriptures.  This morning’s pairing is with one of Jesus’ shepherd teachings in the gospel of John.  Today, of course, is also Mother’s Day and as I was thinking about the theme of shepherds and the work of a mother, I found some pretty neat pairings.
          We will begin with the reading from John.  As always when studying the scriptures, context is important.  This reading follows directly after a reading we studied during Lent.  Jesus had healed a man born blind on the Sabbath and was in trouble with the religious authorities for doing so.  You might remember that there was a lot of talk about who could see and who was blind, as well as threats of being kicked out of the synagogue.  In response to his conflict with the religious authorities, Jesus offers his teachings about the shepherd and the sheep.
          He begins by talking about the way the sheep recognize the voice of the shepherd.  I have heard it said that this is actually true in ancient sheep herding.  If more than one herd were kept in the same pen, all mixing together, the shepherd would be able to call his specific call to his herd, the sheep would recognize his voice, and his own herd would separate from the mass in the pen.  Jesus is the shepherd, and his own recognize and follow his voice.
          Doesn’t this sound like moms?  Remember when you were a kid playing outside in the neighborhood?  When your mother would call for you, you would recognize her voice.  It’s pretty rare that a kid gets confused and responds to the wrong mom’s call.  Just as the sheep know the voice of the shepherd, so too children know the voice of their mother.  Nothing pulls a kid out of a crowd like the call of a mother.
          Continuing in John, Jesus follows this teaching by talking about how he is the gate.  Jesus likes to use a lot of metaphors, especially in the gospel of John.  I don’t want to get all bogged down in how he could be the shepherd and the gate at the same time, so let’s just say now he’s the gate.  Jesus is the gate, and you need to pass through him to get into the sheep pen.  Those who enter by him come in and go out.  The sheep find pasture.  In one of the best lines in this gospel, Jesus says “I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.”
          In many ways, mothers are like gates.  Nothing happens in the house unless it passes through mom first.  Especially when kids are little, like mine are, it is through the mother that they go and come.  It is through the mother that they receive.  It is through the mother that they have abundant life.
          And what does this abundant life that Jesus offers look like?  This is where we jump to the 23rd psalm.  In the 23rd psalm we find all the pieces of that abundant life that Jesus was talking about.  Food and drink, shelter and rest, a presence when in trouble and afraid, a sure path to walk upon; all these things are provided by the shepherd to the sheep.  All these things God longs to give to us, as part of that abundant life.  The shepherd provides for us everything we need, which should give us freedom from worry and stress. 
          So too a mother gives these things.  I know not every mother does this, but it seems to be the case in most families that the mother is the primary care giver.  When I was growing up it was mom who usually prepared food for the table, mom who provided clean clothes to wear, mom who cleaned the house offering a pleasant place to live, and mom who provided comfort when feeling lost and afraid.  Like the shepherd in the 23rd psalm, it was mom who took care of my needs. 
As I have grown into a mother myself, I have taken on those roles.  I work hard to provide an abundant life for my children.  And like many women here, the only way I can do it is by relying on the Lord to provide for me.  The family leans on me, I lean on God, and somehow we all make it through together.
          We love to read and think about the 23rd psalm at funerals, but sometimes I think we need to hear it more on regular days.  Sure, when we are right smack in the middle of that valley of the shadow of death we need to hear these words.  But in that moment, we are less able to hear the whole message of this psalm.  On regular days we need to hear the other parts, like that difficult first line, “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.”
          The 23rd psalm asks us to let go of desire, to let go of stress and worry.  Not an easy task in our modern day and age.  In our super busy, super plugged in lives, we can hardly even sit still, let alone lie down in green pastures.  The psalm asks us to receive, and for some of us, for the givers in here like me, for the mothers, this can be a difficult thing.  One of the messages of the psalm is that God wants to give to us.  Our call is to be still and receive.  It can be hard. 
          In my own life, the one person I am really good at receiving from is my mother.  When I am at my mother’s house I actually rest.  That’s why I go there as a vacation destination.  That is the one place where I can easily sit and receive.  I let someone else cook, someone else clean up, someone else give, and I am able to receive.  It’s a reciprocal relationship, for when my mother visits my house, than I am able to do those things for her.  This chance to sit and rest, to simply receive, is the gift of mothers to us.  And this is the way God longs to give to us as well.
          Today we are gathering at the communion table, and this is a wonderful opportunity to receive from our God.  Jumping back to John, we remember that Jesus says he is that gate, that we pass through him to receive abundant life.  Some traditions have placed a gate around this table.  Only certain people can touch this, only certain people can share in this meal, only those who have met the mark can celebrate here.  Not so in our tradition, not so in our church.  Jesus is the gate, and all who believe in him, all who are even just curious and wondering, all are welcome at this table in his name.  This is for everyone.
          This table is a lot like mom’s table.  Everybody is welcome.  You have a friend over to play?  Sure, they can stay for dinner.  There is plenty of food and maybe even some leftovers.  The feeling of abundance that you find at the table at home, is the feeling of abundance that you find here.  Sit back, relax, enjoy, be fed.  This is the gift that God longs to give us.  As Jesus said, “I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.”
          It can be freeing sometimes to think of God in new ways.  To consider God as a mother can open up to us new understandings and new wonderings about our relationship with the divine.  I am also aware that it can be threatening for some.  Not everyone has a good relationship with their mother, any more than everyone has a good relationship with their father, a term we are much more comfortable using with God.  My point today has been to consider the ways that the shepherd metaphor Jesus offers, can be compared to our ideas of motherhood. 
          In line with that reimagining, I would like to share my own version of the 23rd psalm inspired by this Mother’s Day:   

The Lord is my mother, I have all I need.
She offers me a clean and warm place to sleep,
she pours me a cool glass of water,
she provides me a place and time to rest.
 
She tells me to sit still.
 
She teaches me the right paths to take
to honor my family and my God.
 
Even when I am depressed and threatened,
she helps me not to fear:
because she is always by my side.
She offers me correction and comfort as I need them.

My mother prepares an abundant table for me
and invites all to share the meal.
She gives me sweet smelling lotions,
and always refills my wine glass.

Surely the love and joy she planted
will follow behind in my wake,
and I shall be welcome in her home
from my first breath to my last.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment