Monday, June 1, 2015

Embracing the Mystery


May 31st, 2015     “Embracing the Mystery”     Rev. Heather Jepsen
Isaiah 6:1-8 with Psalm 29
          In our modern day and age, I believe that we have lost a lot of the mystery and reverence people once had for God.  We have spent many years trying to define and understand the nature of God.  From doctrines of the Trinity and Atonement, to big words like Perichoresis and Transubstantiation; humanity has made a strong effort over the centuries to define that which in essence is undefinable.  God is not a mystery if students can take three years of classes and “master” divinity.  
          So too, we have come to understand the created world we live in in such a way as to push aside all mystery and wonder.  What once was the magic of pinpoints of light in a distant sky is now a catalog of named stars and galaxies; complete with distance approximations between here and “there”.  What once was the inexplicable force of thunder and lightning is now a predictable pattern of air currents and temperature swirling the globe.  Where humanity once wondered at the power and presence of fire, I now carry a phone in my purse that is so complex that I not only don’t understand how it works, I don’t understand how to use all of its features properly.  Once there was mystery in the created world, now there is mystery in the wonder of things people have created.
          It is no surprise then, that we have lost our sense of the mystery of God.  If people can create things like this, than where is the wonder when we look at the creations God has made?  If people can define and label every aspect of God, then where exactly is the divinity?  God, who was once a force to be feared and respected, becomes nothing more than a quaint idea of times gone by.  And we wonder why young people don’t go to church!  Have you noticed the world they have grown up in?!?
          Our reading from Isaiah takes us back to a different time in the life of the church.  This reading takes us back to a time when God was a force and a power, God was something to fear.
          Isaiah is granted a vision of the Lord and what he sees is terrifying to behold.  Isaiah looks up from the temple and sees God sitting high on a throne.  The hem of his robe fills the temple and he is accompanied by holy and strange winged beasts.  It is a scene of immense power.  The throne symbolizes power in the political realm, the temple symbolizes power in the spiritual realm, and there is actually a lot of imagery of sexual power as well in the euphemisms of covered feet and that giant hem of God’s robe.  The vision Isaiah shares is meant to be overwhelming, and it is meant to be frightening.  This is not a God you call “Abba”; this is a God you cower away from in fear.
          Like Isaiah, readers of this scripture should feel uncomfortable.  Our response should be his response.  When faced with the sheer awesomeness of God’s power and wonder, we should hide ourselves in fear.  “Woe is me!” we should all cry when we consider being in the presence of such a God. 
          Isaiah is overcome by his own sinfulness and unworthiness, his own powerlessness and his humble place in the created order.  As he shrinks away in fear a seraph flies toward him and burns his mouth with a hot coal.  It is a symbol of his cleansing from sin, and Isaiah is now prepared to go out and be the Lord’s prophet. 
In one of the most beloved lines of scripture, the holiness of God cries out “Whom shall I send, and who shall go for us?” and Isaiah replies in a frightened stammer, “Here am I; send me!”  Lest we should all line up for the privilege of this mission, it helps to read on a few lines where we find that Isaiah is being sent to preach a word of judgment to a people who will never ever listen.  Furthermore, he is called to preach this word until the land is utterly desolate and the cities lie in waste.  Talk about a tough first call!
          I don’t know about you, but the story that Isaiah tells makes me really uncomfortable.  Political power, spiritual power, sexual power; it’s all a bit much for me.  If God is some sort of strange figure filling the temple and shaking the earth with his voice, I’m not sure I want to be part of this.  I am not sure I want to meet this God.  I’m not sure I want my lips burned off, just so I can go preach a word that no one wants to hear anyway.  I’m not sure that’s what I signed on for.
          Today is Trinity Sunday which is about the strangest Sunday in the liturgical year.  Instead of celebrating our God, it seems to me that we are celebrating an idea that we have about our God.  And what an idea it is!
          How do you explain that God is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; but is also one thing not three?  God is like water.  It can be vapor, ice, or liquid.  But that doesn’t really work because it is not all those things at once.  God is like light.  It is a wave and a particle.  Ok, maybe, if you got a better grade in physics than I did then that works for you.  In seminary they teach you that God is movement.  God is the three parts of the trinity dancing with each other and then dancing with you.  That’s a nice idea, but I’m not sure that works either.  God is three things and God is one thing, go figure!
          The church developed the concept of the trinity at the Council of Nicaea in 325.  The argument was about the nature of Christ.  Was Christ equal with God or less than God?  It was this argument that led to the idea of three persons, one God.  To be honest, I think the guys at Nicaea (and of course they were all guys) did a great job.  But I wish we would have left it a little more nebulous.  I wish we would have left a little more mystery in the world.  I wish we had fewer answers and fewer definitions in the church.
          Our Psalm reading for today is thought to be the oldest Psalm in our collection.  Some scholars believe that this may be a hymn from the Canaanite religion that the early Israelites adopted and made their own.  Like the God of Isaiah, the God of Psalm 29 is mystery and wonder.  Tying the power of God to the wonders of the natural world, God speaks and the storms arise.  They move into the land and bring chaos wherever they go.  Trees break, cities fall, and the land lies flooded.  God is in the power of nature, God is to be respected and feared.
          When I read verse 10, “the Lord sits enthroned over the flood” all I could think about were the people in Texas.  I imagined the destruction and chaos in cities like Huston, superimposed with the image of the giant God from Isaiah sitting on his throne.  Is this the God we worship?  Is that the God we serve?
          Like many of you, I am much more comfortable with that loving parent image of God.  I like the mother from Isaiah that yearns to hold us to her breast, I like the loving Abba that Jesus speaks of, I like the mother hen who gathers me close to her downy feathers as I shelter in her wings.  I like that God. 
          But I think sometimes I need this other God.  I need the God of Isaiah full of power which causes me to hide in fear.  I need the God of Psalm 29 who destroys forest and city with natural disaster.  I need the God of Genesis who grieves over creation and wipes it away like a child throws their toys across a room.  I need the God of Revelation who comes in frightening judgment and threatens all the world with a lake of fire. 
          I need a God who inspires fear, to remind me of who I am and my place in the world.  If I only think of the loving God, then I start to think that God loves me more than other people.  Just like how I love my own kids more than other kids in the world.  I start to think that God loves my family more than other families.  That God loves my country more than other countries.  I need to remember my place before God is the place Isaiah takes.  I need to cower in fear, I need to be humbled, and I need to remember my place, as does all of humanity.
          On this Trinity Sunday, I want to encourage you to embrace the mystery and profound holiness of our God.  Sure, we have some ideas about who God might be.  But most of God is mystery and most of God is other.  And sure we can understand a lot of our world, and we can make amazing things, but my IPhone is nothing when compared to a ripe juicy strawberry which was grown by a person, but which was made by our God. 
          It is good to feel loved and cared for by our Lord, but it is also good to remember our place.  We are each but one person on a very crowded planet.  And we are each loved equally by a very powerful and frightening God.  And we each stand as sinners when we come before our Lord’s throne.  The world we live in tells us that we are center of the universe.  Our faith is telling us another story, and I think it is one that we would all do well to embrace.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment