Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Wisdom

May 22nd, 2016       “Wisdom”              Rev. Heather Jepsen
Proverbs 8:1-4, 22-31
          Today is Trinity Sunday, one of the few Sundays of the year that is devoted to a theological idea, rather than a particular story.  Today is all about lifting up and celebrating the doctrine of the Trinity, or that idea that God exists as three persons in one being; commonly thought of as Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
          Rather than making this morning’s sermon a complicated theological lecture, I thought I would narrow our focus a bit.  We are going to talk about the Holy Spirit this morning, since I didn’t get a chance to last week for Pentecost.  Then we will zoom the camera lens out a bit and talk about the Trinity in general.
          This morning’s scripture reading is a little known section from the book of Proverbs.  This is not a book that modern Christians spend very much time with.  We are much more familiar with the gospels then we are with the Old Testament Wisdom literature.
          The book of Proverbs is a collection of folk wisdom and wisdom from the sages, or wise men, of the time.  This is wisdom from around the cook fires in small villages to wise sayings of nearby Egyptian religious leaders.  While it has been traditionally attributed to Solomon, the book is actually a collection of the sayings of many writers and is therefore anonymous.  Scholars believe that the book gained its current form after the Israelites returned from exile around 540 BCE.  So these are really old sayings of the Israelite culture, designed to be read by a young male on the cusp of adulthood.  This is basically advice on how to live a good life.
          In the section we are looking at, the young person is encouraged to seek Wisdom.  In the Hebrew tradition, Wisdom is seen as a feminine aspect of the divine.  Wisdom is of God, connected to God, but also has her own individual identity.  The writers of Proverbs contrast this woman Wisdom, with Folly, also portrayed as female.  In chapter 7, Folly calls to young men with a tempting mix of sexuality and rule bending.  Folly is seductive and the writer says that young men will fall for her “like a bird rushing into a snare, not knowing that it will cost them their life.”
          In chapter 8, we meet Wisdom who calls to all from the heights and beside the way.  Unlike secret societies, where wisdom and knowledge are held by a limited few or a select inner circle, the book of Proverbs portrays Wisdom calling to all out in public.  Wisdom is available to everyone in the world and she calls to us from everywhere in life.
          This idea of Wisdom is what Christians will later come to call the Holy Spirit.  Wisdom is part of the Trinity, along with the Creator and the Christ.  The book of Proverbs tells us that Wisdom was there in the beginning, a part of creation.  We see that in the famous image from the Sistine chapel, Wisdom in the crook of God’s arm at creation.  As the writer of Proverbs says, Wisdom was beside God like a master worker, the architect of creation. 
          Just like we can talk about the presence of the Holy Spirit within us, we can talk about the spirit of Wisdom that is found within our lives.  This is our call to learning, to education, to intelligence.  This is the human desire to study and know the world around us.  This is the integration of science and faith.  Wisdom is the created order and our desire to understand and know the creation.  Wisdom is the truth that we find in the natural sciences.  Wisdom calls to us to continue to study, to continue to strive to discover, to continue to seek a deeper understanding of the wonderful world that has been created and of our place within that creation.
          When I was younger, one of the problems I had with the Christian religion was that I felt people were encouraged not to think.  My experiences at an early age, led me to believe that people of faith were not to question things.  I thought that people of faith were supposed to just believe everything that they are taught, about the created world and about God, and to not ask questions.  To ask questions about evolution, the role of women, or the true history of the scriptures was to demonstrate one’s lack of faith.  Not only were people supposed to follow the shepherd like sheep, they were supposed to be as dumb as sheep to do it.
          When I finally realized that I could use my brain to engage my faith was when I finally fell in love with God.  I didn’t want easy answers, I wanted more questions.  I could hear Wisdom calling to me in the world and in my own life experience, and I wanted to respond with seeking intelligence, with questions, and with knowledge.  For many of us faith starts in the brain, and only then is planted in the heart.  Just like tongues of fire or the rush of the wind, Wisdom of faith is the working of the Holy Spirit and it has the power to transform lives.
          In our culture, we often hear the name of God being used to justify all sorts of things.  From arguments about the bathroom to justification for violence and war, the image and language of God is often used as a hammer to club one’s way through the world.  Wisdom does not lend herself to be used in such a way.  Wisdom is about a posture of truthfulness, about seeing things clearly, and about the ability to see through the facades folks may be using to try to trick us.  Wisdom is about seeing what is truly there, and knowing what the truth really is.
          When we examine the Trinity, we can see that it is simply about relationship.  God has tried many ways to reach us, and God is continually trying to reach out to us in love.  If you are like many folks who struggle with this strange idea of God being three-in-one, then I invite you to hold on to the idea of God simply trying to reach out to us.  God created us in love, Jesus came to help us see God, and the Holy Spirit helps us see Jesus; that’s the Trinity right there.
          All around us the world invites us to see the deep love of our creator.  We are always in the presence of God, what is absent is our awareness.  Wisdom, the Holy Spirit, is always calling us to look and see God in our own intuition and in the world around us. 
          I want to close with a re-imagining of this woman Wisdom that Pastor Jeff Paschal shares in Feasting on the Word.  He writes:
I was out shopping yesterday, and whom did I run into?  Wisdom.  Yeah, there she was.  She called me over and we began talking, Wisdom and I.  Then, I went down to the courthouse, and there she was again, making a plea for justice in some dingy courtroom where somebody and been unjustly accused.  After that, I dropped by the school, and she had gotten there before me, calling for students and teachers alike to always seek truth.  Then I went for a walk in the woods, moving along the trail in quiet meditation.  Wisdom snuck up on me and said, “Now that we are alone, I have something I want to share with you, a present I want you to enjoy.  You know, I have been around a long time, really before the beginning of time.  I have been whirling and dancing with God all along.  I am God’s delight, laughing and playing.  I want you to know the lightness of spirit and gladness that come when you welcome me.  Will you set aside those thoughts, words, and deeds that make life heavy and sad for you and others?  Will you come and laugh and play with me?  Will you come and dance with me?  Will you?”
Amen.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment