Sunday, May 12, 2019

Trusting the Shepherd


May 12th, 2019           “Trusting the Shepherd”        Rev. Heather Jepsen

Psalm 23 with John 10:22-30

         This morning the lectionary readings offer us our most favorite Psalm, Psalm 23.  This is one of our best loved passages of scripture and for good reason as it is so beautifully written.  Many folks of a certain age can recite this Psalm by heart, usually in the King James Version where our “cup runneth over.”  Folks my age are a more unchurched generation, and while we might not be able to recite the whole thing by heart we are certainly familiar with its words and phrases.

         We always read this Psalm on the 4th Sunday of Easter and it seems fitting to me to read it in the springtime.  Its imagery of green pastures and still waters is so in tune with our season that it just feels right.  The Psalm doesn’t mention flowers but I always seem to imagine them as part of its picture and that too is so fitting today.

         Of course, we love this Psalm at funerals because it offers us comfort in our times of grief.  The unfortunate thing is that it has become the habit of many to only think of this Psalm at the time of death.  This Psalm is all about how we live our life now, rather than a vision of some faraway heaven, and so I think there is great value in pulling it away from the maudlin funeral and placing it here, smack in the middle of a joyous Sunday morning.

         When I was reading and studying the Psalm again this week I was struck by how much this Psalm is all about trust.  I believe the overarching message of these familiar words is the call to trust in God.  If God is the shepherd and we are the sheep then we are called to follow where we are being led, no questions asked.  God promises to lead us to good spaces: still waters and green pastures, and also to places of suffering: valleys of darkness and shadow.  This isn’t a “nothing bad will ever happen” message.  I think people forget that.  Folks assume if they let God lead than the path will only lead to good things and good times.  A simple perusal of the life of Jesus, the disciples, and the earlier followers of the divine will tell us that’s not true.  Every life’s journey involves hardship.  The message of the Psalmist is that God will provide in the midst of that hardship.

         It is within the valley of darkness that the character of the Psalmist transforms from a following sheep to a person of faith.  A sheep is led by green pastures and still waters; a sheep is corrected by rod and staff.  But a person is fed at a table.  A person is anointed with oil for healing and blessing.  And a person drinks from an overflowing cup. Through the valley of darkness we are transformed from simple sheep into people of faith.  God still provides, but now we are the ones too who bring goodness into the world.

         The Psalmist writes that “goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life.”  And we can read this two ways.  One is that these things pursue the Psalmist, blessings on the chase.  The other way, the way I prefer to interpret this, is that the Psalmist leaves goodness in their own wake.  Personally, this is how I strive to live my own life.  Like flowers blooming in the path I walk, I hope that I leave goodness and mercy wherever I go.  If love is a sign that I have been somewhere, then I am doing the will of my God. 

         The last phrase as well, is one of varied interpretation.  We love this at funerals as we understand “I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever” (that’s the King James) to mean we will dwell with God forever in heaven.  But a more proper translation is the NRSV “I will dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long” or even “the length of my days”.  That changes this from a promise of God to me into a promise of me to God.  If we read the whole of the Psalm to be about God’s providence of good things to us, then this phrase is our response to those promises of God.  I will worship God, I will live faith, and I will be true in my praise of this one God for all my days.  I will dwell in God’s house, the temple, the church, for my whole life.  It is a call to right and faithful living and it is a call to worship.

         The lectionary always pairs this Psalm with other readings about shepherding and sheep, and as I mentioned last week, we are in the gospel of John this whole month.  Here in chapter 10 we have Jesus visiting the temple during the festival of the Dedication, which we have come to know as Hanukkah.  The religious leaders are confused and asking Jesus to plainly state whether or not he is the Messiah.  Well, Jesus doesn’t say anything plainly in the gospel of John, and these few verses are no exception.

         As we work to tease meaning out of John’s convoluted writing style we can see that Jesus is comparing the things he does to the things that God does.  Like Paul’s words about our fruit revealing our faith, Jesus tells his followers that his actions show that he is the Messiah.  Furthermore, he compares himself to God, declaring that he and the Father are one.  We have gotten used to this theological language but at the time this gospel was written these words would be considered blasphemy.  It’s no wonder Jesus was so good at making people angry.

         Jesus says that people who don’t understand who he is are not part of his special group or his flock.  This is where these verses connect with Psalm 23.  “My sheep hear my voice.  I know them, and they follow me.”  Jesus compares himself to a shepherd and his followers to sheep.  Those that don’t understand who he is simply are not part of his flock.

         This is where the rubber meets the road for these readings, because the truth is, we don’t want to be sheep.  Sure, we want to be part of the flock, we want to be those that understand, we want to be “in” with the chosen group, but we don’t want to be sheep.  Being a sheep is filled with negative connotations.  It brings to mind mindless following, not thinking, just going along, and not being critical.  At its worst, being a sheep means being stupid.  And we don’t want to be stupid followers, we want to be leaders.  We want to be in charge.  The truth is we want to be shepherds; we don’t want to be sheep.

         I remember struggling a lot with this when I was new to the faith.  I have said before that I didn’t accept Christianity until I was in my 20s.  And prior to that acceptance I referred to Christians as sheep in a negative connotation.  I thought followers of the church were stupid unthinking masses, and it was the last place I wanted to be.  I had been told that being a Christian meant not asking questions, I had been told that faith meant not asking questions, and I had been told that if I had questions in my heart I was a sinner.  Now I know none of that is true.  Those are not the kind of sheep God is looking for.

         Now I think that being a sheep, being a follower of our shepherd Lord is about something more.  It isn’t about blindly following.  It is about trusting God.  When we look back at Psalm 23 we see that God is a God who will provide for us.  Trusting in that providence, trusting in God to make a way in the world for us; is the foundation of our faith.  And it is one of the most difficult things to do.  Often we don’t trust God and so we try to make our own way in the world.  I believe that this is the root of our sinful behavior.  We try to provide for ourselves, we try to force the world to bend to our own will, and we try to secure our own future.  We don’t trust God to hand us blessings, we try to reach and grab them for ourselves.  We don’t trust God to lead us to green pastures, so we wander off to find them for ourselves.  That is when we get in trouble.

         All people, from pastors to people in the pews, struggle to have as much faith as this Psalmist does.  We struggle to let God lead us and provide for us.  A few weeks ago a famous young Christian author, Rachel Held Evans died from a bad combination of the flu, infection, and a reaction to antibiotics.  In the circles I roll, namely young female pastors, there was panic.  If that could happen to her it could happen to me.  I knew I was on the cusp of becoming old female clergy because my reaction to the panic was “duh!” 

You can’t live the life of a pastor without coming face to face with all sorts of awfulness and sadness. And anything that happens to anyone could also happen to you.  It’s hard to look at life this way but it is the root of compassion.  If we can trust God like the Psalmist we know that bad things can happen, and we might even die, but God still provides.  If I die, God will make a way for those I love.  I am not the be all, end all of the world.  Being a sheep of the good shepherd is about trusting God to provide for me while I am alive, and trusting God to provide for those I love after I am gone.  It’s not easy, but it’s the root of our faith.

         I would be remiss if I didn’t bring in motherhood somehow on this Mother’s Day.  We often hear fatherly language for God but those who are familiar with me know that I am just as likely to bring in mothering imagery as well.  They are both present in the scriptures.  One of my favorite moments in ministry was when I was leading a bible study at a nursing home.  I was discussing variations on the Lord’s Prayer with a group of elderly ladies and I encouraged them to consider the words, “Our Mother who art in heaven” instead.  Suddenly a 90 year old woman perked up.  She had never considered such a notion and she found it shocking.  I asked what felt differently about a heavenly mother and she said “a mother is always there”.  It was a profound moment for both her and me.

         Of course, one of the reasons we always read this Psalm in the season after Easter is that this is when we remember that our Lord Jesus is always there.  This season of the church year we remember that Jesus suffered and that Jesus died.  The one who felt forsaken on the cross is able to accompany us into the godforsaken parts of our lives.  The death and resurrection of our Lord shows us the presence of God in the valley and shadow of death.  Our God goes with us into suffering, because our God is familiar with suffering and death.  Our God is always there because there is nowhere we can go, nothing we can go through, that our God hasn’t already been through.  Our God leads us through adversity, as our God continues to provide for us.  Again, our challenge is to trust.

         This week as we consider the comforting and familiar words of Psalm 23, I would invite you to reconsider your role as a sheep.  Being a follower of the good shepherd does not mean blindly following along without asking questions.  Being a follower of God, does mean trusting in God to provide for us.  How can taking this Psalm back from the funereal clutches of death reignite our vigor for life?  How can trusting in God to make a way for us help us to let go of the struggle to force our own way in the world?  How can listening for the voice of the good shepherd help us ignore the siren song of so much temptation?  This week I encourage you to once again consider the words of the 23rd Psalm and to look for the providence of the Lord in your life.  May God continue to bless us as we continue to follow.  And may we dwell in the house of the Lord all of our days.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment