Monday, December 2, 2013

The Thief in the Night


December 1st, 2013        “The Thief in the Night”      Rev. Heather Jepsen

Isaiah 2:1-5 and Matthew 24:36-44      

          Today is the first Sunday of Advent.  The Advent season is all about waiting.  It is a season of anticipation, a season of preparation, and a season of hope.  So, what are we waiting for exactly?  I know you feel like Advent is about waiting and preparing for Christmas, but technically it’s not.  And perhaps you feel like Advent is about waiting for the baby Jesus, but technically it’s not that either.  In fact, what Advent is really about is waiting for the second coming of Christ. 

          You were probably wondering why I wasn’t preaching on John the Baptist and the Baby Jesus but instead was reading about the unexpected coming of the Son of Man.  There are four Sundays in Advent, and the first one always has a scary apocalyptic reading like this.  Next week we’ll do John the Baptist and after that it’s fun all the way, but today is the hard stuff.  Today is that ever confusing, ever frightening, and yet ever hopeful second coming.

          You see, we technically can’t be preparing for the baby in a manger; that already happened.  Instead, we are preparing for the return of Christ.  So, when’s it going to be, you wonder.  Well, I wish I had an answer for you, or a place to tell you to look for answers, but unfortunately I’ve got nothing.  While there may be no shortage of people in the world that will tell you that they know when the end is coming; unfortunately all of these people, down to the very last one of them, are wrong.  We can’t read the signs of the end times anymore than we can truly understand our own beginnings.  No one knows when the end is coming.  Jesus himself says that neither the angels in heaven, or even he himself knows.  So that’s that.

          What Jesus does tell us, is that whenever it comes; this day will take us by surprise.  We will be busy going about our daily tasks, and suddenly it will happen.  And so, we are told to keep awake, to keep watch; for we cannot know the day or hour when the Son of Man will return.

          So Advent is a time for us to wake up.  It is the season of the church year when we pinch ourselves.  With our daily routines, in the church and in our lives we get lulled into sleep.  Every day we get up, go to work, come home, go to bed, much the same.  And every Sunday we come to church, sing a song, confess our sins, read the scripture, hear a sermon, sing another song, put money in a plate, eat lunch with friends and go home.  It’s the same every time.  And before long we start to fall asleep.  Whether we literally fall asleep during the sermon, or simply mentally fall asleep, at some point in the year we stop listening.  We stop hearing the gospel.  We stop being surprised and challenged by God’s message, because we have heard it all before. 

          So, this morning, Jesus is shouting in our ear to Wake Up!  He is coming like a thief in the night, and we better be ready to greet him.  How strange is it, that Jesus compares himself with a thief?  One who would sneak into our homes while we are asleep and take things from us.  What would it mean to be awake, to greet such a thief?  What sort of things will Jesus come to steal from us? 

          This is what I was wondering on this week, as I am often wondering on something from the Bible.  And at first, I thought Jesus might literally come like a thief and take our material things.  If it is the second coming, I’m probably not going to be able to keep my hands on my things.  Jesus will come like a thief and I will lose my flat screen TV, I will lose my harp, and I will lose my shelves and shelves of books.  Jesus will come like a thief, bearing the end of all things, and my small bank account will be gone.  Like the farmer who builds bigger barns and dies the next day, I can’t take these things with me.  Like a thief in the night, the return of Christ, will mean an end to my material possessions.

          That is probably accurate, but then I got to thinking about the whole world.  Maybe Jesus is coming like a thief who will take away the whole power system of our world.  Like we spoke about last Sunday; Jesus is a ruler, a king, who brings about a new form of leadership and power.  Jesus is a non-King who is flattening out our power structures.  Like a thief he will sneak in and turn our whole world system, from economics, to government, to social organization onto its head. 

          This is the picture of the future that Isaiah gives us.  In those days, all the nations shall turn from whatever has been distracting them, and stream to the mount of the Lord.  The word of the Lord, and not of the governments of man, will be shouted out in Zion and Jerusalem.  The ways of power and violence will end, as people beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks.  No more war, only the ways of the Prince of Peace, as nation shall no longer lift up sword, or missile, or atomic bomb against each other.  This is the vision of Isaiah.  The thief in the night will steal away all the unholy ways of the world and to that vision, I say, “Come, Lord Jesus.”

          This vision of the future is one of hope, and not fear.  But I have to tell you, that when I think of meeting Christ, there is a part of me that is always afraid.  I can think of one more thing that the thief in the night might take from me, and it’s the scariest of all, and what I hold onto the tightest, and that is my personal understanding of the faith.  As your leader, it’s my job to have the answers.  Not all the answers, but at least some of the answers about our faith.  It is my job to study about our faith, to think about our faith, to come to conclusions about our faith, and to teach you about our faith.  And while I am confident in the things I say, I am always aware that I could be wrong.

          Let me explain.  When I read the gospels, I keep my eye on the disciples.  Those guys were standing right next to Jesus a lot of the time.  And those guys were able to hear the things he said first hand.  And those guys were right there to see the look on his face when he was talking, and read his body language which is 90% of our communication.  So, if anybody understood Jesus’ message, it should have been those guys.  And yet, those guys got it wrong, a lot.  The gospels are full of stories of the disciples being confused or misunderstanding or simply getting it wrong.  So logically, if those guys were right there, and they got it wrong.  How can I, 2,000 years later, expect to get it right?  I can’t.

          So, when I think of the second coming, of the thief in the night, I imagine that Jesus will steal from me all of my misunderstanding.  I expect to be corrected, I expect to be humbled, and I expect to be wrong about some things if not everything, simply because I am human.  And, so to me, this is scary.  I know that whether I see the second coming, or whether I simply die, this day is in my future; the day of reckoning and humbling.  Where I admit that I have been wrong, and worse that I have accidentally taught others something that was wrong.  This thief in the night comes to steal the easy answers of my faith, and of that I am afraid.

          And so this Advent, we prepare not for Christmas, not for a baby, but for the thief.  While we are busy with our material world, we are called to keep awake and remember that none of these things last forever.  And while we are caught up in the politics and economics of man, we are called to wake up and remember that the thief promises to bring a new world order.  And finally, while we rest in our knowledge of our faith, we are called to keep awake and keep in mind that the thief may yet take even that from us, and correct where we have been wrong.

          During this season where we are tempted to be lulled to sleep, I encourage you to pinch yourself and wake up.  We aren’t waiting for Christmas; we are waiting for Christ, and all the change that comes with him.  And so we pray, “Come, Lord Jesus.”  Amen. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment