Monday, November 24, 2014

Journey of Generosity: Philosophy of Abundance


November 23rd, 2014                                                                    Rev. Heather Jepsen
“Journey of Generosity: Philosophy of Abundance"
Matthew 25:31-46
          Today we continue our Journey of Generosity together.  We have spent this month gathering around Jesus’ teaching in the 25th chapter of Matthew’s gospel and wondering how God might be calling us to share who we are and what we have with the world around us.  We have been considering the question, “Lord, what would you do through me?” and today we get a pretty clear answer.
          As you know, the setting for our reading is Jesus teaching the disciples on the Mount of Olives.  This is part of a larger discourse about eschatology or the end times.  Jesus has been telling the disciples what to do while they await his return.  The parable of the 10 bridesmaids reminded us that we need to keep busy with the works of faith while we wait.  The parable of the talents from last Sunday reminded us that we need to get out in the world and take risks with the blessings that God has given us.  This morning’s reading challenges us to approach the world with a philosophy of abundance.
          Found only in the gospel of Matthew, this text is not a parable like our other readings rather it is an apocalyptic vision of the last judgment.  The Son of Man has come in glory and now sits enthroned before the nations.  The people gather at the king’s feet and are separated into two groups, the sheep and the goats.  Both groups are separated based on their treatment of others and people in both groups are surprised at how they personally ended up in either the good camp or the bad camp.  The sheep are welcomed into the promised kingdom, the goats are sent away to eternal punishment.
          This is one of those tried and true texts that we have heard many times here in church and it can be a challenge for a pastor to find something new to say about this story.  But, despite our familiarity with the text, I believe there are still some challenges and opportunities for fresh insight wrapped up inside this familiar reading.
          First of all, just who is this being judged?  Lots of commentators have struggled with the “all the nations” (panta ta ethne) in verse 32.  The word used for nations (ethne) is often used to describe all the folks who are not of Israel, namely the Gentiles.  And the word used for little ones (mikroi) could refer just to the followers of Jesus, the disciples sent out in his name.  A common exegesis, or interpretation, of this passage has come to say that this is not the judgment of the followers of Jesus.  Rather, it is a story of the judgment of all other people, and those folks will be judged on how they have responded to the followers of Christ who are in need.
          I have to tell you, I think that’s a cop out.  Saying that we will be judged only on faith and others will be judged only on actions related to us does not feel right to me.  Nope, I am afraid I come from the camp which assumes Jesus is telling this story to all of us, not everyone but us.
          So if we reject that interpretation, than we have to face the other question “isn’t this then just judgment based on works?” because it sure looks that way.  And if it is, it totally goes against a lot of Paul’s writings as well as our favorite reformation slogan, “justified by grace through faith.”  This sure looks a lot like works righteousness.  If I do the right thing then I will get into heaven.  But of course, the folks who got in didn’t seem to know they were doing the right thing so maybe that too doesn’t work after all.
          In fact, no one seems to understand why they are on the side they are on.  Both the sheep and the goats stand there looking at the king with their mouths open, wondering how they ever managed to find themselves on the good or bad side of Christ’s judgment.  As I asked in the lectionary reading group this week, “why bother?”  If I can’t do anything to get in, or do anything to get out, “why bother?”  If we understand this text as a literal view of our future judgment, than we will have to throw a lot of our theology out of the window.
          But that in turn begs the question, “When is Christ ever speaking literally?”  What if this isn’t a literal picture of the judgment at the end of things, what if this is simply a vehicle for ethical instruction?  What if this is simply a story to catch our attention, to get our gears spinning, to call us to account for the ways we live our lives in this world with each other?  What if we thought of this as a diagnostic tool rather than a prescription; a diagnostic tool to tell us how we’re doing, rather than a prescription to tell us what to do?
          What I think Jesus is laying out here are two different ways of living, two different ways of approaching the world.  One way is to put the needs of others before our own, and one way is to put our own needs before the needs of others.  It’s that simple.  Will we live with a philosophy of abundance or will we live a philosophy of scarcity?  How we choose to live will determine the world we experience.
          People that live with a philosophy of abundance are people who live as if there is enough.  There is enough in the world to go around; enough energy, enough time, enough food, and yes, enough money.  If I have a philosophy of abundance, then I believe I can give away 5% or even 10% of my income to the church and know that I will continue to be OK.  It’s a belief in abundance, there is enough to go around.  And if I have a philosophy of abundance, than I can give of my time to the church and to service in the community and still take a Sabbath at home where I can do nothing but sit on the couch with my kids.  There is an abundance of time.  If I believe that there is enough time to do the things that matter, than there will be enough time.  What needs to get done will get done, and what doesn’t get done doesn’t need to get done.
But if I have a philosophy of scarcity, then things look a lot different.  If I believe there is not enough money than I will hold on to my money very tightly.  I will fret and fret over a 1% donation of my income.  I can’t afford it, there won’t be enough, I need every penny I earn for myself.  And if I believe there is not enough time in the day, then I will horde the time I have.  I cannot help at the church or the Food Center, I am too busy, there is not enough time.  This is a philosophy of scarcity.
What if it is our philosophy which divides us in the end, rather than a judgment from our Lord?  If I approach the world with clenched fists, holding on to what is mine,  I will experience a world of missed opportunities.  I will be shut out, not because God has shut me out, but because I have shut myself out through my own belief in the scarcity of resources.  I will not be at church, for the blessing of worship and friendship.  I will not experience the warmth of giving, because I have held on so tightly to my money.  I will not be involved in the work of the church because I do not have the time or money to be involved.  If I do that, than I have shut myself out of the kingdom of God.  I have locked myself into a place of eternal loneliness.  I have missed opportunities to interact with others in love.  If I approach the world with a philosophy of scarcity, than that is the world that I will experience.
But, if I approach the world with open hands, then I will experience the abundance of the kingdom of God.  If I give of my time and energy to the church I will be blessed by the friendships here and I will experience the presence of God as we gather together in worship.  If I give my money away, I will know the joy of sharing and my faith will deepen as I learn to trust in God to provide.  If I approach the world, believing that there is enough for me and for everyone else, believing that God will provide and sharing what I have been blessed with, than the world I experience will be a world of abundance.  I will have the time and energy and opportunity to interact with the hungry, the thirsty, the prisoner, and the stranger in love and I won’t even know I am doing it.
I believe that this is what God is looking for in us.  God is looking for a philosophy of abundance; a natural overflow of love and compassion in our world, sharing what we have with our neighbors here in Warrensburg and with people as far away as Malawi.  God’s reign is present in acts of generosity.  This is the kingdom we are invited to.  This is the kingdom we are welcomed into.  This is the land of inheritance that has been promised since the foundation of the world, a land where there is enough to go around, a philosophy of abundance.
          I believe that we are not divided by God based on actions that we take.  I believe that we divide ourselves based on the way that we approach the world.  Do we see a world of abundant blessings, or do we see a world of scarce resources?  This will determine our generosity.  This will determine the world we experience.
          Today we are offering our pledges for the coming year here at this church.  It is my hope and prayer that you have joined me in a philosophy of abundance.  It is my hope and prayer that like me, you have grown on this journey of generosity.  It is my hope and prayer that together we can make this a more abundant world, together we can experience the kingdom of God though the life and ministry of this church.
          This is Christ the King Sunday, and God’s reign is present in acts of mercy, deeds of love, and gifts of generosity and abundance.  May the reign of Christ, the kingdom of God, the promise of abundance be among us this day and always.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment