Monday, January 22, 2018

Gone Fishing

January 21st, 2018       “Gone Fishing”      Rev. Heather Jepsen

Mark 1:14-20

         This morning we find ourselves back in the gospel of Mark where everything is short and sweet and to the point.  John the Baptist has been arrested and we don’t even get his story.  All Mark offers us is “now after John was arrested” and it appears that Jesus sees this as a sign to begin his ministry.  It is a foreboding sign for sure, and that is no accident.  The writer of Mark’s gospel wants us to see that Jesus’ road will not be an easy one. 

To begin his ministry Jesus heads into Galilee, which is a bit of a backwater town.  Galilee was not too big or too small, just a regular everyday place, much like our own home of Warrensburg.  The message that Jesus proclaims to get the ball rolling is “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near!”  He then calls folks to “Repent, and believe in the good news.”  That sure seems like a serious way to begin your ministry.  I don’t think yelling “hey everybody, repent!” is really a great way to start a church. 

We often think of the word repent in negative terms but when Jesus says repent he is using the word in a different context.  He is not talking about regret; instead he is talking about a major change.  Jesus is telling people that they need to turn, to change direction, to get a new orientation in life.  This use of repent is not about what we have done in the past, rather it is about what Jesus is doing in the future.  This is the beginning of Jesus’ ministry, and his first word to the world is “look out, get ready, something new is on the way.” 

Jesus immediately begins the work of changing people’s lives.  He walks by the Sea of Galilee and sees two brothers, Simon and Andrew casting nets into the water.   Jesus calls out to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fish for people.”  Just like in last week’s reading from the gospel of John, Jesus is compelling.  After he speaks Andrew and Simon immediately leave their nets and walk after him.  As they go a little further they happen upon the brothers James and John on the shore mending nets with their father Zebedee.  When Jesus calls James and John, the brothers leave their nets and their father, and follow him.

         I’ve been thinking about evangelism this week, following along the lines of our “come and see” sermon.  Last week we considered inviting folks to “come and see” our church and this week Jesus is claiming to make us fish for people.  I’m not much of an evangelist myself so I’ve often side-stepped sermons on this topic.  To preach two sermons back to back on evangelism is a rarity for me, if not unheard of. 

This week I was trying really hard to re-embrace this idea of fishing for people.  And you know what I realized?   I realized that a lot of fishing is just hanging out, and I’m pretty good at that!  Granted there are lots of different fishing operations out there, and some folks are netting followers by the thousands, but I don’t think that’s been my call in life.  I’m not a big corporate fishing operation with a fleet of boats in the Pacific.  I am more of a Saturday afternoon on the lake with a sandwich and a beer kind of fisherman, and that suits me just fine.  Sometimes I catch a fish and sometimes I take a nap, but I am always happy to hang out in the name of Jesus.  And you know what?  I have found that over time being a laid back fisherman enables me to catch some pretty cool fish!

         How about you?  What kind of fisherman do you consider yourself to be?  God has called all of us to share the good news of Jesus Christ with our friends and neighbors.  I know that some folk here are really enthusiastic fishermen; you are gifted with the courage to speak about your faith and invite others to join you.  I also know that some folks here are pretty shy with this evangelism stuff, so maybe hanging out fishing sounds about right to you.  Either way, I think it helps to play it cool and see if you can get that person on the line for God.  We all know if that if you are too enthusiastic, if you tug too hard on the line, the line will break and that fish will be lost forever.

         What is interesting about this reading is that Jesus is not just giving us one more task on our “to-do” list, rather he is asking for a change of identity.  This isn’t about spending a Saturday on the lake; rather this is about a lifetime’s worth of fishing.  The NRSV translation does us a disservice here as it quotes Jesus saying “Follow me and I will make you fish for people.”  That sounds a lot like “follow me and I will give you more work to do” and that is definitely not something many of us are interested in these days.  We are overworked as it is.  A better translation is the old one that you are more familiar with “follow me and I will make you fishers of men.”  See the difference, “make you fish” vs. “make you fishers”?  It’s all about a change in identity.

         This goes back to the first thing Jesus says in this gospel “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news.”  The world is changing, and if we are to be followers of Jesus, then our lives will be changing as well.  When we follow Jesus we will not be offered one more job to do, “fish”.  Rather, we will be offered new identities “fishermen”.  Following Jesus changes our whole life, and those lives should draw others to the faith.

For some of us the change will be dramatic.  Simon and his brother Andrew walked away from their jobs to follow Jesus.  James and John walked away from the family business, leaving their father alone with the nets.  Those are some pretty dramatic changes.  I imagine I walked away from a career as a professional harpist, and in seminary I had a friend that had left behind a successful business career in the financial halls of San Francisco.  For some folks, the call to fish, is profoundly life altering.  Some folks really do drop everything and follow.

For others though, the call to follow Jesus into a fishing career is more subtle.  We keep our jobs and families, but the way we do things changes.  We are less free with the offensive jokes at the office water cooler, we notice the kids in school that others look away from, we see that person on the corner outside McDonalds and we buy them a cup of coffee.  We aren’t changing our career, but the way we do things is different.  We are living lives as disciples, seeing each task through the lens of our faith.  Even though our fishing style is a whole lot of hanging out and waiting, every now and then we make a catch.  I think the reserved life of faith can be more attractive then we realize.

This morning’s reading marks the beginning of Jesus’ ministry in the gospel of Mark, and Jesus begins his ministry by changing lives.  He announces that he is fulfilling the kingdom of God, and he challenges folks to pay attention and to rearrange their lives accordingly.  Jesus walks by the docks in Galilee and begins gathering up the fishermen working there, making them his first (and closest) disciples.  These men who have built lives on casting nets, will now attempt to fish for people.  Like us, they are far from perfect.  As the gospel moves on they will misunderstand Jesus, be accused of having little faith, fall asleep at the most important moment, and even deny their Lord.  And yet, they are Jesus’ fishermen and even now, thousands of years after their time, we continue to be inspired by their story.

I hope this week that I have encouraged you to rethink this idea of “fishing for people” or becoming “fishermen.”  I know I have tended to shy away from this phrase as it makes me think of the old “bait and switch” or of somehow tricking and trapping people.  But this week, when I imagined the hanging out style of fishing, I could really get behind the idea.  There are plenty of folks I hang out with, who don’t go to this church, and I am certain, if you ask them, that a bit of my faith has rubbed off in some way on them.  In the world we live in, a quiet evangelism can be just what is needed.

As you go out into the world this week, think of all the ways you are fishing.  The call of Jesus is a call that changes lives.  My hope is that the changes in your life will speak to the people around you.  You can shout your faith from the roof tops, or you can quietly just be there for folks in need.  Either way, we are fishing for people, and eventually God will fill our nets.  Blessings this week as you go fishing!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment